XO360

Training Video

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The iPad - a modern media technology


The iPad is a revolutionary technology and in an article called “Arts Organizations and Digital Technology” a study was performed that showed: “Many cultural organizations say that digital technology gives them powerful new ways to promote events, engage with audiences, reach new patrons, and extend the life and scope of their work” (Thomson, 2013).  The “always on” ability of the iPad allows for instant access by the user who has access to many different types of information and can be reached at any time via the iPad. 

The iPad has changed how we do business today, for instance when I have my car serviced the customer service technician unhooks his monitor at his desk, walks out to the car and inputs my vehicles information directly onto his iPad, I review the information and the diagnosis and sign the tablet.  Another example of technology, my husband and I went to an Arts Festival and bought a piece of art, I was able to swipe my debit card on the iPad and signed the tablet with my finger; another instance is that when I visit my doctor’s office they have the resource to review all of my medical history on both their laptop and the iPad; and they can send my prescriptions directly to the pharmacy.
The streamlining of information became even more apparent when I was seeking out a home security system; I was amazed to find that I am able to control my home via my iPad and that included controlling the heat and air conditioning, locking/unlocking my house, arming/disarming the alarm system, and talking with my child.  On a smaller scale I can also use my iPad to schedule my DVR to record a show.
The future of the iPad seems unlimited as this article forecasts to:  “Imagine entering your house and seeing couple of iPad’s laying around on your living room coffee table just like books. These iPad’s are not owned by anyone but are available for common use. You see an iPad in the kitchen streaming Food Network. You see an iPad on your nightstand for some casual light browsing before you catch your zzzz and as revolting as it maybe, you even see an iPad in your bathroom instead of a magazine rack where you can take care of your business and read the latest and greatest instantly” (Ahmed, 2010).   Another defining example is how children of today are being influenced by the use of an iPad as this video shows: “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzPd3F-xL8” (TechInfo7, 2012). 
All of these examples show us what is happening and what is possible in our future; but the most important aspect that is changing our computing future is the iPad does not require an “Operating System” that we see in computers/laptops today.  This fact alone has catapulted technology into the iCloud computing technology that we are starting to experience now.  Technology will become even easier to use and because of the iCloud there will be no issues with the “crashing” hard drive with mounds of lost information that is storied in it.  The iCloud will nearly eliminate the need for hardware and the information stored in the iCloud will be accessible from any device this article describes that: “It won't happen overnight, but it will be fast. First, iPad will succeed… more of that data and metadata will be stored in the cloud, with local storage only acting as a cache. No more syncing between devices, no more hassles, no complications.  That is the future” (Diaz, 2010).

References:

Diaz, Jesus.  (2010).  iPad Is the Future.  The next step.  Retrieved from http://gizmodo.com/5506692/ipad-is-the-future

TechInfo7.  November 8, 2012.  iPad vs Magazine.  Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzPd3F-xL8

Thomson, K. (January 4, 2013).  Arts Organizations and Digital Technologies.  Pew Internet.  Retrieved from http://pewinternet.org/Press-Releases/2013/Arts-Organizations-and-Digital-Technologies.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment