XO360

Training Video

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Perfect Memory


This night was the night of the swimming state championship.  I was familiar with the surroundings of the pool that we were swimming in and knew how the events of the night would take place and that made me feel more comfortable.   

The meet begins, I swim in a few of the smaller races and had taken first place and won two blue ribbons.  This gave me confidence.  However, the main event was yet to be swam.  I was going to be up against my biggest and fastest competitor, Amy Barnes.  She and I had shared the spotlight on and off for years and this was it, the big night we’d both been waiting for, the biggest event of the year, the State Championship.  We would be swimming head to head on the final individual race of the evening.   

Dusk had fallen upon us and I don’t know why but swimming at this time of night leaves a bit of a mystery behind it; it feels like there is a secret that is not to be told and is without discussion for the final outcome will be revealed when the first hand hits the wall in victory. 


On this night my Dad was the starter of the races; the pool area was absolutely filled with excitement, the people were a buzz of energy like leaves swirling in the wind; and the air was so full of anticipation. 

The final heat for this race is announced and we are called to our block.  We begin to prepare for the race we loosen up our arms and legs, get our goggles affixed on our head, and make sure our swim suits are perfectly in place. 

I know I am going to faint, I’m so nervous my heart is pounding out of my chest, my mouth is dry, I’m shaking inside like I’m shivering with cold and I keep reminding myself to breathe.  Finally the starter calls us up on our block.  Here it is the final race.

Slowly the starter announces “on your mark,” long pause, “get set,” we all grab the block at the same time, long pause, BOOM the gun fires off like a rocket.  In the warm silent night air, I push off the block as hard as I can and dive into the water. 

Now it’s just me.  The silence envelopes my head from the water surrounding it, I can hear in my head the splashing of the water, my arms are moving furiously and I feel the weight of my legs kicking, my thoughts are racing through my head and I can hear myself repeating, I can do this.  

I’m on my third lap and I can feel the burn in my arms and my legs but I know I have to press on, I just have to.   I hear in the silence of my head my words repeat over and over again I can do this, I can win, give it everything you’ve got!   I take the last turn, it's the fourth lap, almost there. 

As I take a breath, suddenly, I hear everyone screaming and notice my Dad jumping up and down; I can barely make out my name being mumbled from under the water, but it must be close because they are motioning me like I am going to pull this off.  I try to see where Amy is, but it is too dark and I can’t see.  

I take another breath and see my Dad again, but now the crowd is on their feet behind him and at that moment I understand what is possible; I can do it.  I put my face down and focused on the wall, I do not notice how exhausted I am and I muster up all the energy I can find; I gave it everything.  I hit that wall as fast and as hard as I could.

I stand up, pull my goggles off and before I can catch my breath or even see anything, my team, my Mom and my coach are all pulling me out of the water; they are still jumping up and down screaming.  It came down to the wire and by a hands touch I did it!  I, Sandy Andre’, had won the race.  I finally beat Amy Barnes in the biggest race of the year and took home the State Championship Title. 

This memory has been forever etched in my mind’s eye and is one of my most perfect memories.  I reflect on that day many times and it fills me with tears of complete joy and accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment